Inspection and Enforcement Department
The Inspection and Enforcement Department
- Coordinates environmental monitoring of facilities, entities or corporate bodies in the brown environment in order to promote compliance with extant environmental laws, guidelines, policies, standards and regulations for sustainable development.
- Enforce compliance with Laws, Guidelines, Policies and Standards on industrial effluent limitations, noise control, hazardous chemicals management, industrial pollution etc;
- Enforce compliance with the provisions of International Environmental Agreements, Protocols, Conventions and Treaties on Chemicals, Hazardous wastes, Sanitation and such other Agreements that may from time to time, come into force such as:
- Basel Convention for the Control of Transboundary Movement of Hazardous Wastes;
- Rotterdam Convention on Prior Informed Consent Procedure for Certain Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade;
- Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants;
- Minamata Convention on Mercury
- Enforce compliance with Policy, Standards, legislations and Guidelines on Environmental health and sanitation including pollution abatement
- Enforce compliance with any legislation on sound chemicals management, safe use of pesticides and disposal of spent packages thereof;
- Enforce compliance with regulations on the importation, exportation, production, distribution, storage sale, use, handling and disposal of hazardous chemicals and waste other than in the oil and gas sector.